A Word of Advice for Our Youth
This Summer, I had the privilege to be the keynote speaker for and Award Ceremony at the East Valley Republican Women Federated Luncheon. Several students from high schools across the Coachella Valley received scholarships and recognition. On that day, I shared my personal testimony of how my family and I came to the US thirty years ago, following the American dream. I closed my speech with the following words:
Congratulations on your HS graduation. I wish you the best and great success in your new journey. I hope you will remember these words and use them to guide you and encourage you to pursuit your dreams and achieve your goals.
1. The first step to success is to SET YOURSELVES THREE TYPES OF GOALS: Short-term, medium-term, and long-term goals.
2. Envision how you will achieve those goals and SET A PLAN for each of them.
3. If life throws at you unexpected circumstances, do not get discourage and keep an open mind. It is ok to modify your initial plan, but IT’S NOT OK TO QUIT and walk away from your goals.
4. Surround yourself by people who will encourage and edify you, and wherever you go, STAY AWAY FROM NEGATIVE PEOPLE, because negativity is highly contagious.
5. Whatever you go and whatever you do, STAY TRUE TO YOUR CONVICTIONS, HONOR YOUR PARENTS, AND GUARD YOUR TESTIMONY. When necessary, swim against the current to maintain your integrity.
6. As you begin to achieve the goals you have set, REMEMBER TO THANK those who help you along the way, and HONOR THEM BY HELPING OTHERS when the time comes to do so.
“Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”
1 Timothy 4:12 (NKJV)